Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Little Tree- memorized

Hello All!
I just had a special choir moment while gardening.

Gardening
I used to have huge perennial beds, and now I have a lot of lawn. But, I'm working on my landscaping. I did some Victoria Day shopping at the garden centre, and today I got to dig and plant to my heart's content. I love gardening. I love gardening in the spring. I'm full of enthusiasm in the spring. I'll be full of pain tomorrow.

My special Gardening/Choir moment.
I have a little tree that was part of a Christmas arrangement from my fellow gardening nut, Kelli. I've been taking good care of it all winter, preparing for today. I planted it in my garden today. I found myself singing while walking around, looking for the perfect spot. If you're in the choir, you're probably singing Little Tree right now. I nearly cried. Ok, now I'm choking up. Little Tree is a very pretty song.

Little Tree, the song
I sang the whole song to my little tree, several times. I didn't know I had it memorized.
Little Tree,
Little silent Christmas tree,
You are so little,
More like a flower.
Who found you,
Little Tree?
There's the part when we sing, "Don't be afraid. Lift up your arms. I'll dress you up, ..." It's the climax of the song, and I just LOVE it. It makes my knees weak. I got a little loud singing that part and wondered if my neighbours were outside.

Memorizing songs
We learn so many songs for our concerts that we don't manage to memorize them. We probably should. We tried to memorize a couple this season, in case we managed to do a flash mob at the mall. We didn't. But, it's good to know we could.
I think we'd be surprised to know how much we actually have memorized. I think I'll suggest memorizing more songs in the fall.
I know some people will resist. We're adults, so our memories aren't what they used to be. We forget our purses, water bottles, and music binders at choir. We're supposed to remember the words and the harmonies and how long to hold the notes? I think we can.

I'm going to see if I can post the choir singing Little Tree. I have to share it.

Some other time, I'm going to blog about singing Christmas songs in May.

Yours in harmony,
Renate

1 comment: