Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Monday, May 30, 2011

YRCC on Facebook

The Choir on Facebook

The York Region Community Choir Facebook Group is updated and now we have a Facebook Page too! So, we can chat about stuff in the Group and we can post information on the Page.

Wow! Our online presence certainly is growing!

I love Facebook

I am in contact with friends and family all over the world: Canada, the US, Germany, Iran, and Australia, and places they travel to. I get to see pictures and follow what everyone is doing and I can let everyone know what my family is up to.

I’ve connected with old friends from school days. It’s fascinating to see what those kids look like as adults (the same!) and what they do and what interests them. Fascinating!

I bet they’re also interested to see that I’m married with kids, still singing, still connected to Victor Travel, still look the same (?).

I’ve connected with cousins that I only know about from stories my mother told, letters she read to us. Far-flung cousins in Australia and Germany whose names I heard but never saw are now real people. I look at their pictures, read their profiles and find lots of family resemblances. So cool.

I love seeing pictures of my Facebook Friends’ holidays. You see them on vacation with their spouses and children at the beach, hiking, camping, touring cities. You see beautiful places all over the world from the perspective of a friend and their families, with sunburns and sore feet. Love it.


Choir friends on Facebook

I’ve already connected with lots of choir friends on Facebook, so I know much more about them now. Heather’s not just an Alto, she’s an amazing baker and a Glee fan. We have lots in common besides the choir. Tracey’s not just a Soprano. She’s an operating room nurse and her sons play hockey and soccer. Like so many of us in the choir, she bakes beautiful cakes! The bake sales at our concerts are always a big hit. We have social time at choir, with coffee (decaf) and treats and time to chat. It’s nice but too short. So, it’s good to have another way to get together.


Facebook Settings

It takes a while to sort out what settings you like on your account. When my husband gets mad when he gets too many emails from Facebook, I tell him to adjust his account settings. I set my account so I don’t get any. If I want to see what’s happening on Facebook, I go to Facebook. I don’t want email notices. I recommend to everyone to review your account settings regularly so things are set the best way for you.

Make sure you like the choir pages, so you can find them on the left panel of your home page.

I’ll keep you posted!

Yours in harmony,

Renate

No comments:

Post a Comment