Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Wednesday, May 8, 2024

YRCC 2024 Special Rehearsal Tues. May 7th for The Seal Lullaby

Thank you to everyone who worked so hard in that very warm room last night! 

The Seal Lullaby is beautiful, and it was sometimes surprising that the individual parts did indeed sound beautiful when combined with the others. It's a complex choral arrangement but we only have to learn the parts with lyrics. The band will take care of the rest. And, they will accompany us along with Donna. 

We got through the whole thing, but we all agree that we'll need to review our parts on our own for the next couple weeks too. There are videos of individual parts, and of the whole choir sheet music being performed, and of the band arrangement too. I've assembled them all on my YRCC Spring 2024 YouTube playlist. There's a link to that on our website already, but I'm going to provide links here for everything too.                                    

I suggest that you first work with the video of your part. Choose a device that easily moves back and forth along the timeline in a video, so that you can stop, go back, and review a short bit over and over again. 

Soprano Part

Alto Part

Tenor Part

Bass Part (bass 1)

Next, sing along with the recording of a choir with whole choir sheet music.  So, it's like choir rehearsals, where we learn your part and then you sing it with everyone. You can also go over small sections using your cursor to move back and forth in the recording.

Link to Choir recording

After that, sing along with a band recording. I've got a few. Before our rehearsal with the band, I recommend singing along with these band recordings, because there's a different feel to them and we only sing a short part. It would be good if you could be ready to fit yourself in not only by counting bars, but also by feeling how your part works in that context. 

Newmarket Citizens Band recording (from 2018, so the current band will have a slightly different assortment of instruments, and no melody where we will be singing the words.)

We have a half hour from 7-7:30 on Tuesday, March 21st with the band. After that, we'll go and rehearse on our own. We'll want to sing our songs too. I'm sorry we didn't have a chance to sing one of our songs last night. 



No comments:

Post a Comment