Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Friday, May 27, 2011

My job

Hi Everyone!

It’s funny. I have a job, but I’m still a stay-at-home mom. Most of the time, I’m still at home, and I was at home full-time for close to 14 years.

My Job
I work part-time, Mondays and Fridays, at Carlson Wagonlit Victor Travel. So, today, I’m at work. I sit at reception and answer the phone, directing calls. I do a little secretarial stuff, but mostly I write. I love the writing I do for Victor Travel, the travel agency, and Victours, the wholesale side of the company.

Writing for the travel agency
The thing I love to do most is rewriting the English translations of products from Italy and France. They’re so much fun. Greece, Spain and Turkey are great too. The products we deal with the most are hotels and tours. Tours are the best.

Tours
Every time I write a tour description, I get to travel vicariously to the most interesting places! All the highlights of a city or country are there. I research them to see if the spelling is correct, and check out the facts too. When things are translated, sometimes the facts get messed up. This is when it’s the most interesting.

Food and wine and Ferraris
I like to read about the enogastronomic tours (food and wine) and the special motoring tours best. We sell these really cool Ferrari Tours where you tour around Italy for a few days driving Ferraris from place to place. So much cooler than a tour bus! And, there are motorcycle tours too.

Use a Travel Agent
I’m learning quite a bit at Victor Travel, but if I have any travel-related questions, I go to one of the agents. They’re amazing- such nice people, so knowledgeable and very patient! I highly recommend using an agent when you travel. It’s really worth the few extra dollars, and often the savings they find make it much cheaper in the long-run! You should hear some of the stories of the messes they’ve been able to get people out of.  I’ll have to share some another time.

Websites
In case you’re interested, I’m adding the websites to my links. I recommend you have a look at the brochures on the Victours site. They’re beautiful.

Maybe I’ll be able to go on a trip myself again some day and blog about it. Until then, I have memories of travel in my youth and my vicarious travel here at work.

Yours in harmony,

Renate

No comments:

Post a Comment