Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Il Volo

Hey, Everybody!
Check out the boy band Il Volo!
Ok, they’re not really a boy band. They’re a vocal group, more like a cool, teenage Il Divo, like the Canadian Tenors or the Three Tenors only cute and very young and cooler. I’m thinking young Josh Groban times three, cuter and hipper than three Andrea Bocellis.   
Pop-opera
Wikipedia calls them a trio of pop-opera singers. On the Il Volo website it says they sing new and traditional, classically-influenced pop songs. It’s kind of like the music that Josh Groban sings that gets on the pop radio stations.
Italian content
I heard Piu’ Ti Penso, a version of You’re Still You which Bill in our choir sings (a big Josh Groban fan), on the radio (96.3 Classical) Monday on the way home from Victor Travel. Love it! I hear Italian spoken at work and hear conversations about places in Italy. So, it felt right to be listening to these guys singing in Italian on the way home. The song is beautiful. Their voices are so strong and their singing so passionate.
Which one is the cutest?
Such amazing voices they have! Each one is distinct, so you can picture them when you hear their voices.
If I were younger, I’d be deciding which one to have a crush on. The one with the smouldering eyes, Gianluca is obvious, so not him, at least I wouldn’t admit it. Ignazio, the chubby one is adorable, sparkles. He reminds me of me (Ain’t She Sweet)!  Couldn’t admit to loving a version of myself. The one with the glasses, Piero, is so different with all those big goofy glasses, my teenage self would probably choose him. I think those glasses will become popular.
Soaring
One of their signature pieces is O Sole Mio. Anna in the choir sings that too. She’s fabulous. I love it when she sings in her native Italian. She glows and her voice soars.
These boys are called Il Volo which means flight. Great name. They soar, and their lives are now spent flying around, sharing their passion with the world. Lucky boys. Lucky world.
Go to their website, find them on YouTube. Follow the links above to discover them for yourselves.
Yours in harmony,
Renate

No comments:

Post a Comment