Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Not wearing makeup

Hi Everyone,

I looked at myself in the mirror this morning and thought that I should put some lipstick on. It was just for a moment, but it made me think.

I was getting ready to go to work, and I liked my hair today. And, my skirt and my jacket were nice and matched my shoes perfectly. Lipstick would have looked good.

I don't usually wear any makeup. If I have a big zit, then I try to cover it up, but I only wear makeup when I'm performing or when I'm going out for a special occasion. Even then, it's usually just lipstick and eyeliner with maybe a bit of eyeshadow. I do wear lipstick sometimes, just because.

The thought that came into my head quickly right after the lipstick idea was that Jeff and Jack at work would never think about putting makeup on in the morning.

Then I thought about my mother. When my mother came to Canada in the 1950's, she was told to wear makeup at work. She was working at an insurance company at the time. She wore lipstick and mascara at work because she had to. At that time, it was ok to insist that flight attendants (stewardesses), be pretty and a certain height and weight, and wear makeup and high heels, etc. I'm glad times have changed.

I could have put the lipstick on. It would have looked nice. But, I'm glad I could choose not to. For my mother and other women who didn't have a choice, and for those who don't feel they have a choice even now, I chose not to.

Thinking about choices,

Yours in harmony,

Renate

No comments:

Post a Comment