Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Friday, April 5, 2013

Newmarket is a great place to live!

According to MoneySense, Newmarket is among the best places to live in Canada. We scored 4th in the top small cities category and 10th overall!

Check out their lists here.

Our unemployment rate, crime rate, weather and average income are all factors that boosted us up.

When my husband and I moved up here from Toronto, we didn't know much about Newmarket and certainly didn't consult MoneySense. We were able to afford to own a house, and that was the most important thing. There's the hospital and the nice neighbourhoods, lots of shopping and restaurants, the Upper Canada Mall, and it just felt right. It's also close to Toronto and all that the big city has to offer, and close to cottage country, lakes and forests.

North Vancouver is 8th in it the same category as Newmarket and 52nd overall, while Richmond Hill is 26th overall and 9th in its category. So, I'm the luckiest in my family. But, I knew that.

Our old home town, Toronto ranks 28th overall.




1 comment: