Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Monday, September 1, 2014

September! Exciting New Beginnings!

I"m so glad September is finally here!

It's not that I don't love summer, but I've always loved school and the beginning of the new school year. Now, I also have the beginning of the choir year to love! I've been anticipating this September more than most. It's not just "back to school" for us in my house. Soraya is going to University and Victoria is starting High School.

For the past few weeks, we've been preparing for Soraya's move to Toronto. Making lists, buying things, gathering things, laundry, packing, stressing, ... it's been fun and nerve-wracking. We finally moved her in yesterday. Wow! They do a good job of making you feel welcome in residence! It was awesome. I didn't fall to pieces. We didn't forget anything major. Soraya's already planning to come home for Trix's wedding, on September 12th, so I'll see her again soon.

Victoria's first day at Newmarket High will also be exciting. They have all kinds of fun things planned and we don't have to worry about lunch on the first day, because they're having a barbecue.

I'll be happy to have routines again. I've got a lot of work to do that I've put off while the focus was on the girls. And, my regular choir life will start again. Back to Choir!

I've been busy with choir things all summer, and tomorrow Sapphire will be here making recordings with me, but it's not the same. I miss our Monday nights. I miss everybody. I can't wait to see you all again and start rehearsing the "We Are Winter" music!

Our concert on December 7th will be called: We Are Winter: Survive, Celebrate, Sing!" We'll have fun singing about winter weather and our Canadian response to it.

If you have a song that you think fits our theme, I'm looking for a couple of solos and/or duets, and maybe another small group.

I've asked Trix to sing River for us again, since I think it fits perfectly with our theme (Joni Mitchell, skating, Christmas).

We have 2 small groups planned: Breath of Heaven (SSA) and Christmas in Our Hearts (SATB). And, Janet and the Kevins will cook something up for us as usual.

A traditional Christmas song would be a good addition (a hymn or something like I'll be Home For Christmas), and how about something 'multicultural' (we only have Shine Hanukkah)? Also, maybe a beach escape song (Margaritaville?).

Let me know ASAP if you have a song you'd like to sing for us. Normally, several people come forward with ideas and I choose a few that fit in with how I see the show coming together. If I don't get enough volunteers, then I start scouting.


No comments:

Post a Comment