Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

My Sunshine Medley- Facing the Sunrise Together

I created a Sunshine Medley just for us for this post-pandemic season, combining three up-beat feel-good songs to represent our return to singing again like a big happy sunrise after a long dark night.

We'll sing parts of Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles, Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing by Stevie Wonder, and Let the Sunshine In from Hair. 

It was exciting for me to create this arrangement, and I'm excited and nervous to share it with you.

I felt that "Don't You Worry" goes well with the "It's Alright" of Here Comes the Sun. I listened to the fun version of Stevie Wonder's song from the movie Sing (super fun animated film) a lot, singing along to the ba-ba parts and dancing too. I found it uplifting, comforting. I added it to my YouTube COVID playlist (which I just changed to Post-COVID). I wanted to include that feeling of comfort, and needed to address and express the fear that still lingers as we go out into the light. Let the Sunshine expresses that too. The sun shines, but you've got to let it in, or go out to it.  

It's often difficult to relax and open up to good things after going through bad things. 

We are bravely going to go out and we're going to sing together standing side-by-side. We will face the sunrise and feel the warmth. Maybe we should wear sunglasses, maybe we'll squint, close our eyes, but it will feel good. 

More and more, we will be comfortable with going out to choir, comfortable with singing together, and then singing to an audience. We'll do it together, we'll raise each other up, and it'll be alright.

I've added Sunshine Medley to the Recordings and Scans page on the website. Take a look. (you need to log in)















Everybody needs a change

A chance to check out the new

But you're the only one to see

The changes you take yourself through


Don't you worry 'bout a thing

Don't you worry 'bout a thing, mama

Cause I'll be standing on the side

When you check it out


Here Comes the Sun

Let the sunshine in.


No comments:

Post a Comment