Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Friday, March 1, 2024

My Singing Night at Trinity 2024 Thursday, February 29th

  An evening of music, connection, harmony, and spirit.

Here's the list of the songs we listened to and sang. 

  • Breathe by Jonny Diaz
  • Beloved by Jordan Feliz
  • You Are Loved by Stars Go Dim
  • Stars by Skillet
  • Dream a Little Dream of Me by The Mamas & The Papas
  • Dreaming by Blondie
  • You’re the Inspiration by Chicago
  • Space Oddity by David Bowie
  • Got to Get You into My Life by Earth, Wind & Fire
  • Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin
  • All My Loving by The Beatles
  • Holly Holy by Neil Diamond
  • Come On Get Happy by David Cassidy
  • Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers
  • I Love You Always Forever by Donna Lewis
  • Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler
  • Dust in the Wind by Kansas
  • I Love Rock ‘N Roll by Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
  • Don’t You Want Me by The Human League
  • Downtown by the Headstones
  • Can't Take My Eyes off of You Frankie Valli
I spend some time compiling my playlist each week, adding songs when I think of them or when they appear on another playlist I'm listening to. Sometimes, I go searching for things in a theme. I use the search function in Apple Music, on YouTube, and Google. Sometimes, I find something and it leads to others when an app recommends things to me. That can also be annoying, but often it's good. I don't remember how the three CCM songs at the top of the list came to my notice, but I'm glad they did. They're such good songs! I really want to sing those at church, especially Beloved on Pride Weekend. I think it would be pefect. We handed out buttons with a rainbow heart and the word Beloved on them at the Pride parade last year, and they were very popular, as well as the God Loves Me rainbow hearts. It felt really good when people got excited about wearing a button that says God Loves Me with a rainbow heart. We'll be making those again, this time with Trinity United Church printed on them as well, so people will remember where they got them. 

On Thursday nights, I start playing songs from my list, and then we look at the list together and choose songs, and sometimes artists, that we feel like listening to. It's always fun to see what the lyrics actually are compared to how we remember them. We can look up the albums to find out what year they were made, and who the composers were. We sometimes find songs that we like even more on an album. Remember when we had to buy a whole album if the song we wanted wasn't a "single" on a 45? 

I'm so grateful for my Thursday nights! It's always good to gather, and sing, and talk about music and life together. We would be happy to share this with more people. The invitation is open. You can come any Thursday that you can. Except, you can't come next week. We've cancelled March 7th because I'm going to experience Choir!Choir!Choir! in Richmond Hill at the RHCPA with YRCC friends. 





No comments:

Post a Comment