Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Family Day rehearsal, and looking ahead to Feb. 24

Family Day was wonderful! We had delicious treats, but we're going to have to get a new coffee maker. Our old one decided to retire last night. Debbie will also buy us a can opener ;-)

We sang Jamaica Farewell to give ourselves a moment of escape. Lots of people remembered it and it sounded pretty good!

We finished the Hockey Song. It's going to be great! What a fun song!

We started They All Call it Canada at page 6. We learned the whole chorus and it was beautiful. Some of us remembered it from Brownies, Guides, or Scouts.

We started Song for the Mira, but just did a read-through and tried out some of the soloists and back-ups. It's another river song. The Mira is a river in Nova Scotia, Cape Breton Island, to be precise. The song is very well-known and had been done by lots of famous Canadians. Look it up on YouTube.

We continued with In My Life, singing all the way through to the bottom of page 7!

The small group doing Edelweiss stayed behind to sing it once through. Again, lots of people remembered it and it's a great arrangement that people are going to love.

Next week:

6:30 Sapphire Recording

They All Call it Canada we'll start building on that chorus
Song for the Mira start learning at page 8
In My Life next section
Banks of Newfoundland see last week (we switched Jamaica in for it this week)
Nella Fantasia  make it our own

We'll have Edelweiss stay late again, but not too late. Maybe just to point out a few things and sing it once. I don't think it'll take too long to learn that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment