Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Wednesday, October 11, 2023

YRCC 2023 Rehearsal Review October 10th

Warm-up music was A Time for Giving by Alexis Ffrench (there are two f's). I have an Alexis Ffrench playlist downloaded on my phone. I highly recommend his beautiful music. We did the choir massage exercise. 

Our vocal warm-ups were from my warm-up book, Vocal Warm-ups by Klaus Heizmann. 

All That Holiday Stuff met at 6:30.

1. Breath of Heaven: we got through the whole thing, but we'll review parts at the end next time, and anything else you need me to. I love this piece. Be sure to hold the notes you're supposed to hold. You'll see me with my left hand held high and open, palm up, and then I shut it into a fist. You can also count, but the timing is challenging. Sometimes I yell out the counts for you. At the end, see the note where it says to end holding on to the 'n', not the open vowel. Circle that. This is a quiet ending (I know, strange for me) and we end with the word 'heaven' completed, and the 'n' fades away. Have you listened to the 2014 YRCC recording yet? Here's a link. 

2. Christmas Waltz: we started at the beginning (a loud beginning in 6 parts!), and we've only got a little bit more to do before everything will be review. If you've missed learning this song, please go to the website and listen to the recording of your part. Here's a link to the recordings page, but you need to sign in.

3. Do You Hear What I Hear?: No, you don't, because you are sitting in your section. I hear the whole choir and it's amazing, so good! We started at the beginning. I don't often do that, but I don't like to be too predictable. Also, we really want to sing this song. We got to the bottom of page 6, learning parts. I'm so happy that we have strong basses and tenors. 

4. Somewhere in My Memory: We just read through this to see where it goes, how it goes. Here's a link to a recording. 

We didn't sing Mele Kalikimaka as planned because we ran out of time. We had a wonderful breaktime with a beautiful spread of sweets, and time to socialize. The room was loud with talking and laughter. It was time well spent. I shared a bit of a recording of Canon of Hope, the next small group song. You can sign up for it, and you'll see the music and a recording in the Event. 

We talked about the concert a bit. We will be doing the pointsettia fundraiser again. The price went up to $30 which we decided was still a good deal. They're huge and always gorgeous. We'll look fabulous at the concert and then we can take them home to decorate our homes or to give to our concert guests. Be sure to start telling your friends and family to book off Sunday, December 3rd for your Holiday Concert. We will likely be arriving at 1/1:30 and the concert goes from 3:00-5:00, but with clean-up, we'll be out around 5:30/6. So, you can arrange for a light dinner and/or drinks after with your fans. You will love hearing how much they enjoyed your concert!

Next week, Tuesday, October 17th:

6:30 All That Holiday Stuff and 7:00 Blair and Marlene

  • Do You Hear What I Hear?
  • Mele Kalikimaka
  • Little Tree
  • Somewhere in My Memory
  • Christmas Waltz


No comments:

Post a Comment