Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Friday, October 13, 2023

My Singing Night Thursday, October 12th, 2023

An evening of music, connection, harmony, and spirit.

Warm-ups: Our warm-up was peaceful and uplifting- Just the Way You Are by Boyce Avenue. It always feels good to move our bodies to music. I first heard this recording while swimming in a pool in Cuba in 2016. Ahhh

Sheet Music song: Somewhere a Child is Sleeping (YRCC) with proper printed scores. We listened and sang with recordings of the tenor and alto parts, then sang along with a Frank Mills instrumental recording. I hope to have a new recording next week.

Hymns: We sang along to these hymns for this Sunday

MV 147 God Help Us to Treasure
MV 221 I Am Walking a Path of Peace

Pop and CCM songs for fun, in the theme of Friendship

  • Count on Me by Bruno Mars
  • A Friend Like You by Andy Grammer
  • Close To You by the Carpenters
  • Draw Me Close by Michael W Smith (a praise team song)
  • My Lighthouse by Rend Collective (a former praise team song)
  • You’re My Best Friend by Queen (with videos of Queen and then Voice Play)
  • You’ve Got a Friend by Carole King
  • I’m a Believer by the Monkees
  • Three Little Birds by Bob Marley (a video of the SRMS Spring Choir)
  • I Will be the Light by the Joy Vox Community Choir (YRCC friend soloist)
  • True Colors by the Sacramento Master Singers
  • Perfect by Ed Sheeran
  • Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars
  • Just the Way You Are by Billy Joel
We had banana bread which I had baked, at break. We talked about friendship feeling like home, where we are loved “just the way we are”, and how mothers and spouses and Jesus are often called my “best friend”.  It was a lovely evening in lovely company. 



My Singing Night supports and is supported by the Trinity Church Choir.


No comments:

Post a Comment