Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Monday, February 19, 2024

Renate's Winter Vacation 2024 Fun and Flu

Well, they say that planning a vacation trip can be as good for you as actually going on the vacation. It's called Vacation Anticipation. And, it sure worked out that way this time. I was so excited when my handsome husband said he'd planned an all-inclusive resort holiday in Punta Cana for us for my 60th birthday! It was a gift that started giving as soon as I learned about it. We watched videos and read reviews to prepare, and I bought a couple new swimsuits and spent lots of time playing with my summer things, planning outfits. We talked about it with anyone and everyone. Weeks of happy anticipation. 

It was even more beautiful and exciting in real life, the resort and the weather, the ocean, the sand, everything. Paradise. I wish I hadn't gotten sick. I was struck with a flu, tummy-issues, cough, fever, sniffles, misery. COVID test was negative, at least. I missed one full day, lying in bed suffering. I managed to sing and dance and enjoy the pools and the ocean and shows and aquafit and some of the food and drink. We celebrated our birthdays. I loved having non-alcoholic Pina Coladas when I discovered that I could tolerate them. I did feel cheated out of all the food and drinks I could have had. It was disappointing that I couldn't enjoy everything with my wonderful husband. It wasn't the vacation that we dreamed of. 

It felt good to be home and to sleep in my own bed with my warm puppy; being sick and miserable is best at home. However, I must say that being sick in the carefree environment of an all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana was pretty close. At home, I had to cancel things, disappoint people and push myself to do things that needed to be done. At the resort, I just had to put on a swimsuit and flip-flops and get myself onto a lounge in the shade by a pool. Palm trees, sunshine, fun music, and happy beautiful people everywhere is good medicine. 

This was only our second winter beach getaway in close to 30 years. I want more. I learned some things  about packing my carry-on that I want to try. I didn't think it was such a big deal to have a week in the sun in the winter, but it really is. It's fantastic, worth putting money aside for. Now, maybe we should start dreaming about our 2025 getaway. Mexico, maybe? Aruba? 

But, wait: there's a summer holiday to plan first! Vacation Anticipation. 





No comments:

Post a Comment