Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Thursday, February 29, 2024

Renate's Pet Peeve Soapbox Thing

 I saw a good post on Facebook that got me all riled up. It's my pet peeve. So, here's what I posted:

This is what I'm always saying. This is where I get up on my soapbox. We need to change this way of thinking that singing and dancing are not for everyone but need to be skills that only a few are worthy of performing. Nonsense. Balderdash. Singing and dancing are for everyone, everyone. Just play some music on the radio or on your phone and join in with your voice and body. It's sooooo good for you! Your voice is your voice and it's beautiful, and singing is natural. Your body is also beautiful, and it's designed to dance. You absolutely don't have to be skilled or talented to sing or dance. If people judge you when you're not in a competition and they're not being paid to judge, then that's their problem, and their loss. But, maybe they can be encouraged to join the fun. Art too. Make stuff because it's fun, and makes you feel good. Finally, why do some people think that it's not manly to sing or dance or create art?!!! Makes me furious. Stop that! Okay. Off the soapbox now.

This was the post on Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment