Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Solos and small groups for Spring 2013


As soon as you get your music, have a look at the solos we need this season. I've listed them all here. Find them in the music and see if you like the range and the song.  If you would like to be considered for a solo in the choir music, let me know. The deadline will likely be end of the month. 

Also think about solo pieces. We can have 3 or 4 solos and duets. Last season we had 3 solos and a duet. I've already heard from a few duets but no soloists yet. We'll have to limit it to 4 total. Please come forward and let me know if you are considering a solo song or a duet. Your deadline will likely be later in February or March. Remember our theme is Friendship and Community. 

Small groups: Sign up will be soon. We have a men's a cappella small group piece, Sam Hall, and a mixed group song called Friendship. There is room for another piece with piano accompaniment, and we're hoping for 2 Janet and the Kevins small group pieces again. We have a few suggestions for music, pieces we have in our files, but if you have a song you'd like to do as a small group, please let me know. Remember that small groups do most of their preparation on their own. We count on members of small groups to learn their music at home and to organize rehearsal time independently. You need to book your time with Heather and Anne Marie or Janet and the Kevins and be available to meet before choir and possibly on other days. 

Spring Music Solos

Blue Skies (or keep Trix and Janet?)
Soprano at 37
Alto,Tenor or Bass at 45

From a Distance
Alto: at 6 and 26
Soprano: joins the alto for a duet at pick-up to 10 and 30

Hallelujah (new soloists)
Tenor: beginning
Soprano/Alto: at 16

I’d like to Teach the World to Sing
Soprano/Alto: at 9
Tenor/Bass: at 17

Imagine
Soprano/Alto: at 5

One Small Step
Soprano/Alto: at 5 and 75
Tenor/Bass: at 10

One Voice
Keeping soloists from last season (Heather, Stanley, Janet/Teija)

Wild Mountain Thyme
Soprano/Alto: at 5, first verse
Tenor/Bass: at 5, second verse

No comments:

Post a Comment