Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Reading List: Long list for the Man Booker Prize Announced

The long list for the Man Booker Prize was just announced. There's the list below. Apparently, not all of these are available yet. And, I guess the library won't have them all. But, I like having a list like this, even if I don't read many of them.

I also like looking at what the Bookerellas at church are reading. I've read almost all of their books.

I miss my Reading Group. I was in a book club for 15 years. It got harder and harder to get together and finally just ended. So sad. I haven't been able to get started in another group again, even though I've had invitations to a couple of different groups.

I do have an account on Goodreads, and follow what others are reading, but it's not nearly as nice as talking about a book for a couple of hours with friends.

I haven't read any of these. Have you? I don't even recognize the authors, which is good: new stuff to discover.

Five Star Billionaire Tash Aw (Fourth Estate)
We Need New Names NoViolet Bulawayo (Chatto & Windus)
The Luminaries Eleanor Catton (Granta)
Harvest Jim Crace (Picador)
The Marrying of Chani Kaufman Eve Harris (Sandstone Press)
The Kills Richard House (Picador)
The Lowland Jhumpa Lahiri (Bloomsbury)
Unexploded Alison MacLeod ( Hamish Hamilton)
TransAtlantic Colum McCann (Bloomsbury)
Almost English Charlotte Mendelson (Mantle)
A Tale for the Time Being Ruth Ozeki (Canongate)
The Spinning Heart Donal Ryan (Doubleday Ireland)
The Testament of Mary Colm Tóibín (Viking)
- See more at: http://www.themanbookerprize.com/news/longlist-2013-announced#sthash.awGQjrdt.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment