Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Thursday, April 13, 2023

YRCC 2023 Rehearsal Review April 11

 2 Small Groups met early: Tomorrow (Duet) and Together Wherever We Go. I was able to watch the second one, and they're fabulous, everything I'd hoped for. I also heard the One Voice trio, and wow am I happy!

Warm-ups included stretching and breathing and opening our throats to allow lots of air support. We sang Wonderful World to warm up. Just wonderful, and so appropriate as we enjoy blue skies and green grass and flowers in this funny hot spell. 

1. Happy Together: Super! We reviewed the ending from the ba-bas, and Kit agreed to sing the descant part with the first sopranos. We thought about adding a pause for getting our notes where we all sing the same, and sometimes miss that note. We did fine with Donna just giving us a good chord on beat one. 

2. Sunshine Medley: We looked at Let the Sunshine, the last part of the medley. We decided to be very loose and fun with it. You don't have to follow the notes. We'll sing it in unison twice and then we'll break out into harmonies, just winging it- it worked really well. We repeat several times, and I'll invite the audience to sing along, and I'll stop it when we're all worked up ;-) We went back a little and worked on Don't You Worry Bout a Thing, and also sang all the way through. I'm putting a couple links here again for you to listen to so that you're more familiar with how Don't You Worry Bout a Thing sounds. 




SAB arrangement


from the movie Sing!

This is so good, and you can hear the soprano part really well. There's a lot of embellishment, but the main idea is clear. 

3. Walking on Sunshine: You've got this. We seem to forget a little when we don't sing it often, so we'll sing it more ;-) 

4. This Little Light of Mine: Wow! It's so good. I think the soloists are great.

5. On Eagles Wings: So beautiful. I hear that some sopranos don't know about not singing at 43, top of page 6. You come in soft at make you to shine. Altos, you're it here on those long notes, so balance out the volume to let the Tenors and Basses shine on the melody, and then altos and tenor/bass are strong through that whole page. At 61, you switch. Tenors and Basses have those long notes and soprano and alto are on the melody and need to be careful not to be too loud. We need T&B strong throughout that page as well.  

We continue to sell tickets. At choir you can tap a credit card! 

Next week, Tuesday, April 18th

at 6:30: Because We Believe (Bill solo) and Blair's solo at 7 or so.

Next week's songs:

  • Sunshine Medley
  • On Eagles Wings
  • You'll Never Walk
  • Walking on Sunshine
  • Viva
  • We Rise Again





No comments:

Post a Comment