Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Thursday, April 6, 2023

YRCC 2023 Rehearsal Review April 4th

I'm starting to get excited (hyper/instense/overstrung) about our concert! 

Small group at 6:30 was Mad About Mozart, and it sounds so good! I can't wait for everyone to hear it. We'll bring in all the other solos and duets again over the next few weeks. 

Physical warm-up was the Macarena (fun!), and the vocal warm-up was You Raise Me Up. That's cheating, because it's really not great to warm up your voice by singing, but we were laughing and breathing hard during our physical warm-up, so hopefully you didn't strain your voices. 

1. Blue Skies: I selected the soloists: Lauren on the first and Melinda on the second. Debbie is a back-up for both. This is really very good, sounds great every time, and it's a crowd pleaser in the seniors homes. We reviewed proper snap form, and how to hold your binder when you're walking. Here's a video to watch to see how the snaps and jazz hands look. Also, watch it to hear how good it sounds. You don't get a good feeling for how we look or sound when you're in your section. Soloists for This Little Light of Mine will be Debbie and Blair, BTW, with Lauren and Melinda as back-ups. 

2. I Can See Clearly Now: This is coming along great! The blue skies part was a bit off at first, but we fixed it. I highly recommend listening to the excellent parts recordings on the website if you're feeling like you were missing anything, or maybe you just missed a few rehearsals. Your part is played over a choral version, so you can hear how you fit in with the rest of the choir. Here's a link to a performance on YouTube.

3. Sunshine Medley: We went over parts in the Don't You Worry Bout a Thing section. In a medly, there's always a little stress in the transition from one song to the next. But, I think this section is also difficult because it's not as familiar as the other pieces and because there are ba-bas. Here's a link to a choral version that inspired me and a link to the version from the movie Sing

4. We Rise Again: I selected Lauren to be the back-up for Marlene's solo. That doesn't include the second soprano part, so I'd be happy if one of the second sopranos could step up for this song at least. Lauren did a great job, nailed it on her first try. I'm still not hearing the tenor part in the second group of oohs and aahs. Maybe we should consider having you all on the bass part? Let me know what you think. Unfortunately, we lost the recordings for this, except for the accompaniment and alto part. Here's a video for you to watch, where you can watch a singer from your section, see/hear what they're doing.

5. You'll Never Walk Alone: Such an awesome arrangement! We looked at the second soprano bits that we often miss. The second syllable of "alone" has an extra syllable on beat 2 of the next bar (a-lo- 231-own). I want that one, but won't be sad if the quarter notes in "dreams" are missing. Here's a video to watch.

Tickets are $20 and you can start buying them for friends and family. We can take payment by credit cared with Square now. Cash and cheque are good too. Posters are availble if you have a spot to post them.

Tuesday, April 11th

6:30 Tomorrow Duet, 7:00 Together Wherever We Go Small Group

  • Happy Together
  • Sunshine Medley (Don't You Worry)
  • This Little Light of Mine
  • Walking on Sunshine
  • Wonderful World


No comments:

Post a Comment