Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Friday, October 27, 2023

My Singing Night Thursday, October 26th

 An evening of music, connection, harmony, and spirit. 

Warm-ups: We started with watching the One Voice Children’s Choir sing You Will Be Found from Dear Evan Hansen, as a gathering moment, and to feel drawn in to music and away from our everyday.

Sheet Music songs:

The Trinity choir and praise team will join together on November 5th to sing Rutter’s A Flower Remembered.  We had sheet music and sang along with a video of a choir, and tried to sing with the parts videos, but had some technical difficulty. The music is not difficult and we’ll have lots of time to look at it at home and time to rehearse together before that Sunday.

Hymns: We sang along to these hymns for this Sunday

VU401 Worship the Lord

MV1 Let us Build a House

Pop and CCM songs for fun, thinking about how Love is Home

Wedding Song by Paul Stokey

Heaven is a Place on Earth by Belinda Carlisle

Higher Love by Steve Winwood (notice the choir)

Livin’ on a Prayer by Bon Jovi (such a good chorus to belt out!)

Like a Prayer by Madonna (Let the choir sing)

Perhaps Love by John Denver and Placido Domingo

New Category: Watch a video

We didn’t do a campfire type thing but we spent time watching a scene from Come From Away, called “Prayer”, which I discovered when I searched for songs with prayer. The song in the scene is Make me a Channel of Your Peace. Here’s a link to my Trinity Singing Playlist on YouTube.

Everyone enjoyed my store-bought shortbread cookies. Our theme is always LOVE. We talked about hair, how it’s hard when it changes with age; it’s a big part of our identity. We talked about church, the meeting last Sunday and this upcoming one. It was a lovely evening in lovely company. 

 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment