Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Friday, February 22, 2013

Mon, Feb 18 Family Day rehearsal (and preview to the 25th)

On Monday, February 18th, Family Day Monday, we had a guest. Christian, a York University student came to learn about choirs like ours. His Choral Music professor is Karen Burke, of Toronto Mass Choir fame. Last year I went to her Power Up Conference. It was an excellent experience.

We continued with warm-ups to help us with volume.
1. We sang Wonderful World, first working on getting the Tenor and Bass voices to blend better in the middle section.
2. Blue Skies went well, even though I had to do one of the solos because key people were missing.
3. You'll Never Walk Alone is coming along nicely. We reviewed the section we learned starting at 27 and continued to 47.
4. Flying Free is beautiful! We learned parts up to J and sight-read the rest very nicely.
5. We reviewed page 4 and did both endings at 38 in From a Distance. The harmonies give me chills!
6. To show off, we sang Monday, Monday and You Raise Me Up.

Next Monday:
From a Distance (potential soloists come at 7:00)
I'd Like to Teach the World To Sing
Song for Unsung Heroes
You'll Never Walk Alone
Greatest Love

No comments:

Post a Comment