Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pete Seeger and the Power of Singing


A friend sent me a link to this article on Pete Seeger, an excellent obituary, knowing that I would like it, that I would be happy to have my own philosophy affirmed.

Singing is something that everyone can and should do. Singing in a crowd is magical and powerful. At choir, we know that and love to sing every Monday, and we especially love it when we go out singing and get a crowd to sing along with us!

Check out the video below. Powerful. This Land is Your Land.

Pete Seeger And The Public Choir by LINDA HOLMES January 28, 2014 on NPR.

He was a person who believed deeply that people should sing, in groups, with harmony, in public — and not just in church. He was a passionate director of probably thousands of pickup choirs, formed at the beginnings of performances and disbanded when they were over...And he believed that everyone should do it, that people should retain the ability to get in a room and sing, because it was good for you, and because it taught people to pitch in and be brave.


No comments:

Post a Comment