Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

March 3rd review and March 10th preview

In case you missed it, here's what happened on March 3rd.

We had a bit of difficulty at the beginning with the room having been set up sideways.
If that happens again, we'll move the chairs.

Edelweiss met at 6:30 and they are sounding excellent.


  1. We sang Shenandoah, and it was really very good! We reviewed the Alto parts at page 6 and the top of 7.
  2. Song for the Mira is almost done! And, we have a flute! Robyn is going to play the oboe/flute part on top. So cool! We learned the main section pg 8-11. And, we sang through with soloists and the flute. 
  3. They All Call it Canada is our theme song, and it will likely be our finale. It has a good, strong, dramatic ending, which we learned. We learned pages 4 and 5, and sang through to the end. It's lovely. We will not do the descant part where the tenors and basses have the melody on pages 10 and 11. So, Sopranos and Altos will not sing on page 10, but will come in on page 11 at the bottom of the page, at the D.S. al Coda with the words "From the Atlantic".  
  4. We sang the Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves and it was beautiful! Made my Monday!


Monday, March 10th
It will be March Break, so a couple of you might be away. Some of you are already away enjoying the sun somewhere. Here's the plan:

This Land is Your Land will meet at 6:30.

  1. In My Life: ending  
  2. Song for the Mira: oohs
  3. They All Call it Canada: beginning
  4. Nella Fantasia: pg 9/10
  5. Banks of Newfoundland: review
  6. Jamaica Farewell: pg 8/9




1 comment:

  1. I will like the ending bit from the sound of it. They All Call it Canada is a good choice as a theme song.

    ReplyDelete