Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Monday, January 22, 2024

YRCC Weather Watching

Our first Tuesday night rehearsal was cancelled because of the snow and freezing rain, because there was a Weather Warning, and travel conditions were very bad, people were told already the day before that they should not plan to go anywhere, and it turned out the forecast was correct. That was pretty clear already in the morning. So, Lauren and I spoke in the early afternoon and decided to make the call to cancel. I'm so glad we did! It was a miserable storm. "Oh, the weather outside was frightful!"

It can happen again. We have a long winter. 

Tomorrow looks like it's going to be very snowy. Several centimetres are forecast to fall in the afternoon and evening, just when we're going to want to drive to choir. Sigh. If it's just snow, we should be okay. We're Canadian and we can't just stay at home all winter. Chances are, we won't cancel. But, please be prepared for an announcement any time the forecast is bad. Check your emails, check our Facebook page and this blog. Sometimes, your name is missed on an email. The website email blast acts up sometimes.

Most importantly, please stay at home if you need to. 

We have months of rehearsals still, and there's all the stuff on the website and my reviews here on my blog to help you catch up if you miss a rehearsal. Some people send me an email to let me know when they're not coming. That's super nice, especially if you're in a small group or if you're responsible for equipment or have a solo. Some people send a Facebook message. That's also appreciated. 

I don't always get those messages until I get home after rehearsal, but it's still nice. If you want to be sure that I'll get the message, send it before 6:00. 

And, for messages to you from the choir, please make sure that the email and phone number you gave Carol when you registered are the ones that will reach you on a Tuesday afternoon when we might need to call or email you to let you know we're cancelling. 

Be safe when you shovel snow. Don't hurt yourself. I care about you. 


10 centimeters- get out and shovel early



No comments:

Post a Comment