Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Friday, January 19, 2024

My Singing Night at Trinity 2024 Thursday, January 18th

  An evening of music, connection, harmony, and spirit.

Here's the list of the songs we listened to and sang. 

  • I Like Dreamin’ by Kenny Nolan, video
  • Goodness of God by CeCe Winans, video
  • All I Do is Dream of You by Debbie Reynolds & Bobby Van, video
  • All I Do is Dream of You  by Dean Martin
  • Waiting for a Star to Fall by Boy Meets Girl, video and Apple Music
  • Dream a Little Dream of Me by Kia Grannis, video and Apple Music
  • Dream Come True by Frozen Ghost, video and Apple Music
  • When You Wish Upon a Star by Jacob Koller, piano with sheet music, video
  • Prayer (Evening Prayer) by Libera, from Hansel and Gretel, video
  • Let it Go by Luba
  • Let it Go Disney sing-along video
  • Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield
  • Catch a Falling Star by Perry Como
  • Pure Imagination by Josh Groban
  • Break My Stride by Matthew Wilder
  • All Through the Night by The Irish Rovers
  • I Dream of Jeanie with the Light Brown Hair by John McCormack
  • Dreamer by Supertramp
  • I Have a Dream by Amanda Seyfried from Mamma Mia

It was so nice meeting Zarme! I'm very happy that she found us. We sang songs in my YRCC theme, which will also be my theme at the January Trinity Seniors' Get Together on Monday, January 29th. The theme is quite broad, inspired by When You Wish Upon a Star, and our Star theme of last season. 

We talked about how we might dream and wish for things to happen, but we can also make them happen, make our dreams come true. We don't need wait for the stars, or God to answer.

We talked about the cognitive benefits of singing, especially for seniors. We need to get those neurons firing, wake up memories, recharge talents, skills, knowledge, and help to inspire us to make new connections in our neural circuits. Music does that for us. Even listening to music is beneficial, but singing is better, and singing in a group is even better. Our simple and casual evenings are more than just fun. We are working on staying sharp and healthy. 

Getting together like we do is also invaluable for getting us out of the house, keeping us sane. We need the company of other people. Something we talked about which made us laugh together and feel connected was the surprises we get when we learn about the hidden features on our cars, like seat warmers and steering wheel heaters, among other things. It's very healthy to laugh at ourselves and to commiserate with others. We ate a little chocolate with our tea, and chocolate makes everything better. It was a lovely evening in lovely company.   

We always have a lovely evening, and wonder why we don't have a bigger turnout. Maybe you're waiting for better weather, longer days? Don't wait. Winter is long, and My Singing Night helps.



No comments:

Post a Comment