Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Saturday, January 6, 2024

My Singing Night at Trinity 2024 January 4th Review

 An evening of music, connection, harmony, and spirit.

First My Singing Night at Trinity in 2024! Here's the list of the songs we sang. 

  • Let it Go video by Disney (Idina Menzel)
  • Let it Go video from Taylor Swift’s 1989 world tour
  • The Mummers Dance by Loreena McKennitt video and audio recording
  • Choir!Choir!Choir! video Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and Don’t Stop 
  • Any Dream Will Do video from 1999 film of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat with Donny Osmond, and the audio recording to sing along
  • The Holly and the Ivy by Roger Whittaker
  • Shining Star by The Manhattans
  • Dream Weaver and Love is Alive by Gary Wright
  • All I Have to Do is Dream by The Everly Brothers
  • California Dreamin’ by The Mamas & The Papas
  • Sweet Dreams by the Eurythmics
  • Rainbow Connection and Return to Pooh Corner by Kenny Loggins
  • Suspicious Minds by Elvis Presley and by Fine Young Cannibals
  • Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole
  • I Wish by Stevie Wonder
  • Counting Stars by OneRepublic
  • Winken, Blinken & Nod by Paul Austin Kelly & Richard Durrant

We talked about Advent, Christmastide, and Epiphany. It's interesting how Christmas has developed over time into a big pre-Christmas month-long (or more) extravaganza, which ends pretty quickly (after Boxing Day, it seems) and the old Christmastide is just a strange story and a crazy song, the 12 Days of Christmas. I'm clearing all the Christmas stuff away today and tomorrow. I started on New Year's Day. I won't take down the ligths yet though. It's still so dark.  

We left Christmas behind here too and started this new year with a wishing/dreaming theme. We didn't talk about New Year's Resolutions. I resolved only to ignore them: not make any (except this one) and not to ask anyone about them. The theme is from my YRCC theme of this season, which continues with light and stars from last season, and adds on the idea of wishing on stars and the dreams we wish and pray about, especially dreams of a better, brighter world.

We enjoyed the power of singing Let it Go. I love it, and I love watching little girls sing it with great enthusiasm and all the gestures and movements of Elsa in the scene from Frozen. For us grown-up girls, the song has much more meaning, and the gestures help to punctuate our words. If you haven't done it in a while (kids are now big), you should definitely sing along with the video, nice and loud while nobody's home. It's especially satisfying when it's cold outside. 

We laughed at how well or not and how much we remembered songs from our youth when we didn’t have the lyrics. We are so very grateful for all the sing-along videos and for the lyrics and especially the sing-along lyrics that scroll with the song on Apple Music. We remember hearing songs on the radio and just singing along with whatever words we could make out, often just the chorus. Sometimes, we could buy the album, on vinyl or cassette tape or CD, and the liner would have lyrics on it. The CD and cassette tape lyrics were tiny!

As always, it was a lovely evening in lovely company.  (by the way, we were half YRCC and half Trinity with one family/friend participating)

I'm looking forward to singing with bigger groups in 2024 and using the Fellowship Room with it's big screen and the big TV screen, and comfortable seating. It's been very nice when there are only a few of us, as we can get more personal about our music. But, I do think there's a lot of music that many, many people have in common. And, it's always fun to learn new stuff. Please come and join us. 

This Sunday, Trinity Choir starts at 9:30. We have a couple of nice songs to learn. 

Next Tuesday, Praise Team starts at 10:00 and YRCC starts too with our Holiday Potluck Party and some "Thursday night" singing.

Here's the link to my public playlist of all of the songs we sing, which I update after every Thursday. It's getting so big! I will start a new list for 2024.  Apple Music Playlist 2024 (Apple Music Playlist 2023 is still available)

And, I've separated my YouTube playlists too.  YouTube 2024 (and YouTube 2023)





Thank you for hosting, Trinity!



No comments:

Post a Comment