Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patrick's Breastplate





Part of this song is from St. Patrick's Breastplate, a hymn 700 years old.


I took that part and jazzed it up, added a rap (also from the original) and hand motions (obvious) and sang it with kids at church! I was inspired by my gospel weekend. And, I like to do songs that link to the lesson at church or to other events. 


What do we know about St. Patrick's Day except that people dress in green, drink beer, and act crazy? The beer and crazy thing is all about the feast day falling in Lent, the sober season of fasting and abstaining. I'm always learning. St. Patrick gave us the clover representing the Trinity, and this really big hymn/prayer called a breastplate because it's a prayer of protection. It's really long. The stuff here is just a small part of it. Google it. It's really cool. 


So, here's what we sang and what we'll sing again tomorrow at church:


Christ above me. (same melody, but punchy, so it sounds like: Christ! Above me.)
Christ beside me.
Christ within me, ever guiding. 
Christ behind me.
Christ before.
Christ, my love, my life, my Lord.


Christ to my right; Christ to my left.
Christ when I stand; Christ when I sit.
Christ when I sleep; Christ when I wake.
Jesus Christ is my breastplate.

Christ above me. 

Christ beside me.
Christ within me, ever guiding. 
Christ behind me.
Christ before.
Christ, my love, my life, my Lord.


Happy St. Patrick's Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment