Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

2021 The Year of Zoom for YRCC

For our choir, the YRCC, 2021 was almost entirely a year of Zoom. We met twice in Fairy Lake Park and twice at Trinity Anglican in Aurora. Other than that, we only sang together and saw each other with computer screens and webcams. 

We thought our Zoom Choir days were over, but they're continuing into 2022.

We certainly aren't alone in having zoom meetings. We're not alone in having pets show up and take the spotlight once in a while. If you take a look at the 2021 Zoom statistics from a Zoom study, you'll see that 36% of Zoom users have had pets show up at Zoom meetings. Click on that link. It's a fun summary of some of the things that Zoom meetings are famous for. 

2021 Zoom Stats




"You're on mute." is going to be the 2021 phrase of the year. 71% of Zoom users reported saying that phrase at least once. I think we said it at almost every meeting. 

Apparently happy hour drinks on Zoom was a popular thing, and some of our choir nights did feel a bit like happy hour. Quite a few of us would have a glass of something to say "cheers" with. Drinking at choir and being able to go to choir on stormy nights were two bonuses that made me grateful for choir on Zoom. Seeing and talking to choir friends and singing our choir songs together made Zoom choir necessary for me. I needed that connection. 

I'm grateful for Zoom again, as we step back into Stage 2 of the reopening plan for Ontario. We really hoped to be meeting for real again and we have a new accompanist and everything! I hope we don't have to wait long for things to open up so that we can have real choir again. There is an "Event" set up on the website for you to let us know if you think you'll be coming back when we can meet again. We will follow any and all recommendations for meeting safely, including wearing masks, checking vaccination certificates, contact tracing, whatever. We really, really, really want to sing together, so we will do whatever it takes to make it possible. 

Stay tuned. Lauren and I are keeping you up-to-date via email, Facebook, this blog, and of course, the YRCC website. There are links all over the place for you to click and get information. 

I miss you and want to see you again soon. Stay well.



No comments:

Post a Comment