Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Thursday, November 9, 2023

YRCC 2023 Rehearsal Review November 7th

 Ahhhhhh! It's November! Stuff is getting real. Our Concert is on December 3rd, less than a month away. Get those posters out in emails and texts to all of your friends and family. Buy your tickets. Buy your Poinsettias. I am so excited, and the cakes and sweets at breaktime shared by the altos helped get me worked up. 

6:30 and 7:00, we had Stanley and Mona work on their duet and the Canon of Hope group sang again. 

Our warmup was similar to the past few weeks, where we did some grounding and stretching seated, then stood up and sang one of our favourite pieces. You'll Never Walk Alone was super, as always. If you're not too sure of your part, because you're new or you're in new section, please listen to your part recording on the website. 

1. In Our Town in December: simple and beautiful. We're singing it all together this year. Watch out for timing. We have to be really crisp, together, so that the words can be understood. Watch out for the dynamics so you don't sing loud all the way through. The ending is special, not as written. Hold thatt last note for two bars, then a quarter rest, then watch as we do a big, 6-8 part harmony ending. You choose your ending note. It's so cool how this works out. 



2.Breath of Heaven: we don't have parts recordings for this, but people know it pretty well and you can follow. I love the way it sounds with the bass clef voices included! We do have recordings of the choir singing it (SSA) Here's a video on YouTube:




3. Christmas Waltz: We're getting it. There's a part at the top of page 6 that you need to watch. It slows way down (rit) so that "same thing" sounds like half notes. Make a note to watch me there, and listen to your neigbours. It's fairly soft, so don't stress about it.We spend quite a bit of time on pages 6 & 7. Review those. You can hear your parts on recordings on the website.

4. Somewhere in My Memory: It's so much better with the chords that Donna added at the key changes at 38, 40, 42, and 46! We spent a lot of time on pages 4-7. It's getting great!

Next week: Tuesday, November 14th.

6:30 Blair and Marlene, then Anna, then All That Holiday Stuff (7:00)

  • Do You Hear What I Hear?
  • Christmas Waltz
  • One Voice
  • Somwhere in My Memory
  • Winter Song



No comments:

Post a Comment