Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Friday, November 10, 2023

Thursday, November 9th My Singing Night Cancelled

I was so sad to have had to cancel this week's Singing Night at Trinity!

I went to bed early in the afternoon, sick, feverish and dizzy from a reaction to my second shingles vaccination on Wednesday. I sent an email to those on my distribution list and posted on Facebook. I hope I was able to reach everyone. I'm feeling better today, but I'm still low on energy.

We always spend a little time preparing for Sunday. This week I had planned to use YouTube videos of the hymns, MV #4 All Who Are Thirsty and  MV #79 Spirit, Open My Heart (Wild Mountain Thyme melody, YRCC folks know this), I was hoping we could do a little harmonizing for MV #188 I Thank You Jesus (super easy song). We'll start learning parts for Let there be Peace on Earth. We should all sing the melody for a while so that the congregation can follow us, but soon we will be able to sing in parts. This arrangement is different from the YRCC one. 

Here's a nice video of All Who Are Thirsty.



We will also learn the songs for the Christmas Pageant/Play. You're going to love the Christmas Lullaby by John Rutter. Here's a video you can watch as an introduction:



For our pop songs and contemporary Christian music, my theme was going to be love, again, but this time something like, feeling loved forever, faithfully, no matter what. I was inspired by the CCM song we listened to last week, Never Been a Moment, by Micah Tyler. We'll listen to that and sing with it again.

I'll share the songs I prepared for this theme next week. Michael Buble, Rick Astley, Fleetwood Mac, the Hollies and Julio Iglesias are on the list! Hope you can come.

I'm making an Apple Music Playlist that I can share which will have the songs we sing on My Singing Night, at least I'm trying. I think I just have to gather them together and "publish" the list so you can find it with a search. Working on it.

Here's a catchy Praise Team song to worm into your ears. Draw Me Close. We sang it on Tuesday morning, and it's still stuck in my head! "You're all I want. You're all I've ever needed..."




No comments:

Post a Comment