Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Friday, December 15, 2023

My Singing Night at Trinity December 14, 2023

An evening of music, connection, harmony, and spirit.
  • Someday at Christmas by Stevie Wonder (sounding very young). 
  • River by Sarah Mc Lachlan
  • Bright Star of Bethlehem by Melanie McMillan
  • O Little Town of Bethlehem by Bruce Cockburn 
  • Silent Night by Rod Stewart 
  • White Christmas by for Kenny Rogers
  • Do You Hear What I Hear by Bob Dylan 
  • God Rest Yue Merry Gentlemen by Crash Test Dummies
  • Go, Tell it on the Mountain by High Valley, and by Toronto Mass Choir
  • Ding Dong Merrily on High by Rend Collective, and by John ST John Tenors
  • Candlelight Carol by Jody McBrayer
  • Some Children See Him by James Taylor, and by SimpleGifts
  • Winter Wonderland by Eurythmics
  • See Amid the Winter’s Snow by Steeleye Span, and by Annie Lennox
  • The Christmas Song by Claire&Dave Crosby with Mat&Savanna Shaw (video)
  • The Chanukah Song by Adam Sandler (videos– first and third)
  • Happy Joyous Hanukkah by the Indigo Girls
  • Snippets of A Bocelli Family Christmas (video) recommended to watch at home

Last night of Hanukkah. Robin brought Panettone (which was new to some) and I brought some Christmas cookies. We love that Robin is learning Hanukkah songs in a church. We love this opportunity to sing songs we know and love and to learn new ones. We noticed how much fun it is to sing with banjos, and bluegrass energy. We talked about how some voices don’t appeal to us, but they are still “good” and the singers beloved by many. Everyone can and should sing! We thought about Colby's lovely strong Bass when we sang with the Crash Test Dummies. We thought about Lauren when we sand Some Children See Him. We remembered Janet and the Kevins singing Bright Star of Bethlehem. I am looking forward to singing with my daughter Victoria on Christmas Day, remembering singing duets at church. It was a lovely evening in lovely company.   





No comments:

Post a Comment