Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Friday, December 1, 2023

My Singing Night at Trinity November 30th

 An evening of music, connection, harmony, and spirit.

Christmas Songs!

  • Better Days by the Goo Goo Dolls on YouTube
  • Hark the Herald (Sing Out Loud) by the Spirituals Choir (YouTube)
  • Winter Wonderland by PS22 Chorus (YouTube) (also A Thousand Years)
  • Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee and Sanctus by Libera
  • O Come, O Come Emmanuel by Kim Walker-Smith
  • Angels We Have Heard on High by for King and Country
  • Winter Song by Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson
  • Song for a Winter’s Night by Gordon Lightfoot
  • Mistletoe by Justin Bieber
  • Santa Baby by Eartha  Kit
  • You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch with a YouTube lyric video
  • Silver and Gold by Burl Ives from 1964 Rudolph
  • Mary’s Boy Child by Andy Williams and by Boney M. again
  • Do They Know it’s Christmas? by Bandaid
  • I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing by The New Seekers
  • Wonderful Christmas by Paul McCartney
  • O Holy Night, Deck The Halls, and Away in a Manger with a piano accompaniment and no words, which meant only a couple verses of each (LOL).
  • Earth Song (orchestral version of Michael Jackson’s song) by Akshay Sreeram

We used the Fellowship Room, which is spacious and has couches and armchairs and the feel of a salon in a big house (except that there's not only a dining table but also a big meeting room-type table, for meetings). I brought store-bought cookies for tea-time and they were excellent. We talked about hope, and people these songs reminded us of, for me often past choir members, and my choir, the YRCC. I shed some tears.  It was a lovely evening in lovely company.  Next week, we’ll sing a Hanukkah song or two.

I'm working on this public playlist of the songs we sing at My Singing Night. It's a bit of a mess, because it started out as just a bunch of things I thought I might like to use. I'm working on removing the things we haven't done yet. Every week, I add the songs we sing. I've heard that listing the songs has been good for people who forget the name or artist of a song that they liked. So, I thought this would make it easy for you to go back and listen to them again. I think you can access the playlist even without a subscription to Apple Music. 

 Apple Music Playlist


Thank you to Trinity for hosting



 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment