Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Friday, December 22, 2023

My Singing Night at Trinity, Thursday December 21st, 2023

 An evening of music, connection, harmony, and Christmas spirit.

  • Chevrolet Ad: A Holiday to Remember (caution: a tear-jerker)
  • Amazon Ad: Joy Ride
  • Merry Christmas by Ed Sheeran and Elton John (video)
  • Perfect by Ed Sheeran (video- noticed things referenced in the Christmas video!) 
  • Believe by Josh Groban from Polar Express (video)
  • Oh, What a Special Night by Animated Praise (video-talked about Children's Time Sunday)
  • Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy by the Washboard Union
  • Wexford  Carol  by Trace Adkins
  • O Come all Ye Faithful by Blue Rodeo (good) and by the Tenors (over the top!)
  • Back Home Christmas by High Valley
  • Snowmobile Song by Stompin’ Tom Connors (!!!)
  • Ave Maria and Adeste Fideles by Luciano Pavarotti (cool: we sang Italian and Latin)
  • Lo, How a Rose by Cat Jahnke
  • The Son of Mary by Harry Belafonte (What Child is This)
  • Good King Wenceslas by The Irish Rovers
  • Goodness of God by Caleb and Kelsey (for Praise Team)
  • Christmas Wrapping* by The Waitresses
  • Frosty the Snowman* by Mighty Diamonds
  • Joy to the World* by June Lodge
  • The Little Drummer Boy* by Sean Kingston
  • Feliz Navidad* and Deck the Halls* by Laro (Soca!)
This was the last My Singing Night of 2023! We’re not meeting on the 28th. 

Some of the things we talked about: tobogganing when we were younger, Newmarket hills and hills of our past, with memories of our dads; Ian’s manger scene menagerie, with a giraffe and a hippo (!) among other animals from Ian's collections; and, Peter and Alison Mohan's Christmas Playlist, such a wide variety of fun music *from which we chose a few and enjoyed with gratitude! 

We ate my homemade Christmas cookies and a little bit of Stollen. 

It was a lovely evening in lovely company.   

I added all of the songs to the public Trinity Singing Night Apple Music Playlist
and the videos to my YouTube playlist


Next My Singing Night is Thursday, January 4th, 2024 at 7:30pm.

Hope to see you there! 

Thank you to Trinity for hosting us!

No comments:

Post a Comment